Total Pageviews

Monday, November 21, 2016

A girl?


Hi I am Pinkee Shrestha. I am 20 years old and I am a girl. A GIRL. Growing up a girl alone is challenge enough. Don’t do this/Don’t do that, do this/do that. Living a life as a girl is like living with so many limitations and boundaries that some days it feels like your own life is not yours at all. Like someone else owns you and your life.

I have always been a feminist. May be a little bit of a feminazi too. Cause I do think women are greater than men. Always have been and always will be. Like every other girl, I grew up to being catcalled stupid names, whistled, jeered and leered at. Initially, I used to argue and shout back at those chauvinistic pigs who thought they owned the streets. But as time passed by, I started feeling what was even the point of me arguing. Those poor, poor souls never even registered what I shouted back at them. It was probably just a means of entertainment for them. I started ignoring them but that did not make me feel any better. Because they got away with making me feel vulnerable and powerless and they probably never even realized that.

One day I was walking back home from college. The way to my home is not a bustling street but rather a quiet road. Suddenly, I got spanked from behind. Growing up with sisters at home, it is not really a surprise to get spanked out of the blue. I turned to see which of my sisters wanted to die from my hands that day (not literally). There was no one but a bike passed by me. The biker was giving me odd looks turning again and again. It took me a whole minute to register that that guy had spanked my behind & nbsp; I had never ever expected to be treated like that. I hurriedly looked around for stones to throw at that pathetic excuse of a man but since it was a pitched road, there were none and I even tried running after him but him being on a bike and me on foot, you can guess how that turned out. I was left feeling utterly powerless that day. So powerless that it infuriated me and rocked me to my deepest core.

Even now when I think about that incident, it angers me that I could do nothing and that person got away with it so easily. I probably was lucky, for lack of a better word because girls around the world have to face probably much much worse. And it angers me to no ends that girls have to go through such horrible experiences and just because they are a girl. Girls these days are standing up for themselves and defending their honor on their own. And it gives me immense pleasure to see that. It truly does but we should not have to go through all of that at all. None of us should. Ever. What is it gonna take for men to stop objectifying and oppressing women?

Written by: Pinkee Shrestha

No comments:

Post a Comment